Tuesday 22 May 2012

Mother's Day and Joanne's Visit

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but celebrations in Peru are hardly small affairs. That includes Mother's Day. (The church did a spectacularly over the top presentation during the worship service.) I was rather overwhelmed at the lengths to which the teachers and children at school went to prepare gifts and decorations and a programme for this family event. On the Friday before the special Sunday, we had an afternoon show for all the Annie Soper mothers. All of the children participated - from the tiny 3 year olds in duck and cow costumes to the graduating class of 2012. The day before the programme, I was asked to help direct it with Pilar the English teacher. Gulp. As usual, I couldn't say no and then found myself fretting about everything that I had to say in Spanish. Someone told me afterwards that the Annie Soper school has never had a foreign volunteer direct a programme before! I had to do the opening prayer (which was written out - people were encouraged to bow their heads and close their eyes, so hopefully they didn't notice my reading it!) and then Pilar and I took turns to introduce the 'acts'. The kids all did really well in their acrostics and dramas and songs and traditional dances.

The programme went on for ages, of course, and I was really tired of standing up in heels after 3 hours...but my directing went alright. The only big mistake I made (and even in saying that, I realise that when you read this you may not think it's that big of a deal) is that when introducing a traditional Peruvian dance from the mountains I mispronounced the name of the dance and caused lots of laughter. I had never seen the word before (I was reading it from a paper), though I understand now that it's also the name of a very common red and black seed that is used in a lot of local jewellery. I said 'huayruru' instead of 'huayruro' - an error easy enough for a non-native Spanish speaker to make! Needless to say, it caused just about everyone present to laugh aloud, and I, though feeling rather embarrassed, just had to make light of it and joke about it the next time I came up to the microphone... I even had some amused parents come up to me afterwards to tell me how much they'd enjoyed my mispronunciation. (My response: really awkward fake laughter and a flat 'Thanks.') Well, what are we here for, but to make sport for our neighbours...? :-)

Following the programme, we had to take down the extravagant decorations, and then the male teachers gave a meal for all the female teachers, although we're not all mothers. We were given a nice mug with a teaspoon in the handle, which is something I've fancied having for a while, so that was a lovely end to the evening.

The next day, I travelled to Tarapoto airport to meet Joanne. She arrived in Lima to volunteer in San Andres just a couple of weeks before I left Lima at the beginning of the year. This past week she's had a school holiday, and she came to visit me and visit the jungle. Her flight was delayed a few hours, so I was sitting in the airport cafe for a long time. Just as well I had a book with me! A very nice older man sat at my table in the cafe and provided some interesting conversation about Peru and then paid for the ice cream I'd just eaten! How kind is that?! I should have ordered two scoops instead of one! Haha, just joking.

Throughout the week with Joanne, we went to school, tried to convince the children that we weren't sisters even though we were the same colour, visited the lookout points in Moyobamba, relaxed in the thermal baths, had a boat ride on the Rio Mayo, cooked such wonderful 'home meals' like mince and tatties and apple crumble, and went out for ice cream in the stifling humidity. On Friday we travelled to Lamas and stayed the night there. We had the same hostel room as I'd had with Marion a few weeks ago. We visited the castle and the native community of Wayku and bought souvenirs. On Saturday Joanne returned to Lima and I to Moyobamba; at the airport in Tarapoto, an older lady with long black plaits asked me to pose for a photo with her! Really funny.

Since Sunday I have not been well (again!) - the same old tummy problem. I feel bad that I can't go to school when I only have a couple of weeks left, so I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll feel well enough to go back. I was planning to return to Lima on the 7th of June on the bus, but since I've been having so many problems with my health I think I will have to give up my 26 hour bus journey for a one hour flight. Twenty-six hours on a bus would be worse than unpleasant if I was feeling sick.

Counting down the days till my trip home...

With two dashing caballeros :-)

The preschoolers preparing for their act

The Spanish version of 'Old MacDonald had a farm'

Gathering up the 3 year old chicks

What a cheerful sunflower! haha

3rd grade clowns

4th grade traditional dance

1st grade girls in their mariachi - cute!

1st grade boys - oh the sombreros!

3rd year secondary in their traditional dance - very impressive
The ladies with their gifts - it's not difficult to spot me among them! I was wearing heels...

Panorama from the San Juan lookout point

Yours truly at the San Juan point on Sunday


Tahuisco on Thursday

Whenever you see a rainbow, remember God is love!

Our boat ride on the Rio Mayo

Morro de Calzada, a really prominent hill near Moyobamba

Beautiful day for a boat ride

A little wooden house by the riverside

21st century Michelangelo in the Lamas Castle

Indigenous women working on their artesanias in Lamas Castle

Statue in the Wayku Community - is she looking for nits or just doing a hairstyle?

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad the Lord helped you through the grand production. I can't imagine the challenge--except that you described it so well and colorfully :)
    The pictures are just delightful - I love the cheerful sunflower and the lovely boat trip pictures. And the hen and chicks one is hilarious.

    So excited to see you back here soon!

    ReplyDelete