Saturday 14 July 2012

At the end of it all

I have been back in Carlisle, PA, for a month now, enjoying the summertime with my family, boyfriend, church friends and piano. :-) Thankfully, I have some work to keep me busy until I go back to Scotland at the end of August. Peru seems very far away and like a strange dream. But I have so many good memories and photographs, which I hope to share with many of you as I see you in the next few months.

When I think back to this time last year, I can scarcely believe everything that has happened and all that I have learnt. Last summer I was very nervous about the prospect of living in Peru for 9 months. I didn't know many people there. I had the pressure of having to work hard on my Spanish for University. I knew Lima was a big and dangerous city, and I knew Moyobamba was full of horrible insects. I had never done the kind of work in schools that I was hoping to do. I was going to be living with strangers. Oh, the list could go on... But when I think of it all now, I am amazed at the Lord's provision and care for me and for the strength that I was given to go through the good and bad experiences. As a Christian, I can face uncertain days because I know that Christ lives and is interceding for me; he has promised never to leave me nor forsake me; his power is made perfect in weakness. 'If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast,' Psalm 139:9, 10.

What were the best parts and the worst parts of my time in Peru?
Well, I have lots of 'best times' for which to be thankful. I loved the children that I worked with, and there were many days when I arrived at school feeling tired or under the weather and left hours later still feeling tired but enthusiastic and happy about my time with the students. I look often at my photos, especially from San Andres and Annie Soper, and a smile automatically appears on my face as I remember the laughs, joy and love we shared as we worked on English and sang songs and played games. When I left Annie Soper in June, I was moved to receive some gifts from students who had been troublemakers in my classes and who had often had to be disciplined for their bad behaviour. Even they were sorry to see me go!! I had the opportunity to meet lots of great people and visit many interesting places throughout my time in Lima and Moyobamba. I will never forget my trips to Machu Picchu and Kuelap - two amazing Peruvian sites. I can say now that I've been to the Pacific Ocean, the desert, the Andes Mountains, and the jungle (particularly, the Amazon)! And all in one country!
If I had to choose a few low points of being in Peru, I would definitely mention the sickness I endured for many months. That was pretty awful sometimes. As you would expect, there were plenty of cultural differences that were difficult to handle or get used to. Such disorder and noise! I also found it hard to see immoral practices among professing Christians; it really illustrated how much we have to be thankful for the Christian heritage we have enjoyed in our country - its influence is striking when you travel to another country that has not had that privilege and witness the corruption, the diseases that are the result of loose living, the financial problems made worse by dishonesty, etc.

What have I learnt?
I learnt lots of Spanish! :-) Personally, though, I found out that there are many things, 'home comforts', that I can live without. I have certainly been made aware of how selfish and materialistic our society is. I have found out what it's like to be the foreigner in the country, the person everyone stares at, the person whose native language is obviously not Spanish; and I have learnt that I am the one who has to adapt! There were many times when internally I was boiling and ready to spew such things as 'If you would only listen to me, I could tell you how I do it and then you'd see how efficient you could be!' or 'You just can't talk to me like that because I find that offensive; I'm not used to people telling me I have really big feet!' or 'Stop saying such ignorant things about my culture!' But then I have to remember: Megan, you are in their culture; you have to change/adapt for them; why do you expect them to change their culture for you, a visitor? That is a humbling, challenging, but very good thing to learn! I learnt more about working in schools, working with children, teaching a language. I learnt to appreciate many new foods and places.

Many thanks go to the delightful people I met along the way and who helped my time to go so well. To name  a few: Clive and Ruth Bailey, Erick and MC (and Ruth!) Rios, Rachel Mein, Jodie Killah, Joanne Nicolson, Catriona MacDonald, the Arevalo family, Diana and Daniel, Arturo and Yolanda, Marion Burke, Rebekah Overstreet, Laura and Francisca and Luba and Erin, Pilar and her family, all the teachers of San Andres and Annie Soper, and many other people.
Thank you also to all of you who faithfully followed my blog, sent emails and cards, and especially prayed for me. Thank you to the Free Church of Scotland Foreign Mission Board for sending me as a volunteer, to Bon Accord Free Church and Women for Mission for their kind support. Special thanks go to my family and to Benjamin for their love and kindness in listening to my stories and rants and for doing what they could when I was unwell or feeling down.

I would like to return to Peru to see the work in San Andres and Annie Soper and to visit the friends I have there. I don't know when that will be, but in the meantime I will be thinking much on my time there, praying for the continuing outreach through Christian education, and giving thanks to God for giving me this great opportunity to serve him in Peru.

No comments:

Post a Comment