Tuesday 17 January 2012

From winter to summer in 8 hours

Buenas tardes con todos!
I arrived late last night in Lima after an 8 hour flight from Newark. The flight was fine; I watched films and CSI programmes until I was a little too creeped out and suspicious of all other passengers....haha. The airport was really busy at that time of night, so it took forever to get through immigration and suitcase-pickup and customs. The good thing is, though, that I was given 180 days on my passport to be in Peru, so that should last me until June. I won't have to leave the country and then come back in again in order to be 'legal'! :-) The dear Baileys were there to pick me up and take me to the house of the Arevalo family, who will be my hosts for the next few weeks.

Dennis and Charmian Arevalo have 3 friendly children, whom I am getting to know, and their house is big and lovely. :-) It's the house that Rachel and Jodie stayed in last year (that reminds me: Happy New Year, everyone!). I have Rachel's old room (pictured below) - if you're reading this, Rachel, I want you to know that I think of you every time I enter it!

And the weather is HOT! It is summer time here, and the sun is shining and providing lots of heat. It was quite a shock after the minus temperatures of Pennsylvania, but I'm already enjoying it. I plan to go in to Colegio San Andres tomorrow morning to see what admin work they have for me to do in the next few weeks.

Before leaving the States, I was nervous and a bit sad to be going away again. However, now that I am here and in a familiar place I feel a lot more settled. It helps that it's sunny. :-) In the car on the way to the airport yesterday, Mum gave me Spurgeon's Morning and Evening reading for January 16th to read. It was so appropriate - 'I will be with thee' - and a comfort. Please pray for me as I begin this next stretch of Peruvian adventures.

My room at the Arevalos' house
P.S. I found a dead beetle on my floor this morning! Eeeeeeeeek! Must be a preparation for Moyobamba...

1 comment: