Tuesday 27 March 2012

Bad Beasties but a Brilliant Box

Would you like the good news or the bad news first? I'll start with the bad!

I haven't said anything about this on my posts in the past few weeks, but I've been having a recurring health problem. The old tummy was not very happy sometimes, and it seemed to be happening fairly frequently. I finally got round to having an analysis at the lab, and the bad news is that I have three parasites that need to be got rid of! This is not at all unusual here. And thankfully there are medicines readily available for the eviction of such unwanted residents. I started on a medicine last night and have to take it for the next week; it's quite strong, but so far I haven't felt too many side effects. I won't tell you what parasites I have; you might look them up online and freak out... :-) But not to worry; I'm getting better!

On a happier subject, today I travelled to Tarapoto (2 hours away) to pick up a box of books that was sent from the States. The books are donations from my mum and a few ladies in the church for the little children of Annie Soper Christian School. Thank you very much, everyone who donated! I read all of them this afternoon and am looking forward to bringing them into school tomorrow. It's not worth explaining why the box went to Tarapoto instead of Moyobamba, why I had to go on a school day, and why I had to provide photocopies of my passport to collect it; let's just say I was a bit annoyed about how inconvenient things had to be.

My trip to Tarapoto started very early this morning - we left the house at half 5, got a minivan at 6 and arrived by half 8. I sat in the front and got to enjoy the scenery being lit up by a young sun. It's such a beautiful area, and if only the windscreen of the minivan had been cleaner my photos would've turned out a little less fuzzy!

The super books for the Annie Soper kiddie winkles

Beautiful scenery on the road between Moyo and Tarapoto

Could be mistaken for Scotland, couldn't it?!

Mototaxis!!! I'm a fan!

A mototaxi getting some TLC at the petrol station

Looking down from the road onto a little place by the River Mayo

4 comments:

  1. Oh the joys of worm medicine :-P - I never noticed any side effects from taking the stuff they gave us in Guyana (sometimes we had to drink a whole little bottle of 'ick' at a time), so I think you're safe to not expect any :-)
    I'm glad those books got to you safely despite the to-doings to get them. I find it rather amusing sometimes to see how experiences in third-world tropical countries are rather the same across the board. Enjoyed the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke too soon about the effects of the medicine! I am taking some pills instead of a liquid, and they're strong. I'm feeling really tired and headachey, and the other night I thought I was coming down with some horrid tropical disease. The medicine makes me feel worse than the parasites...! Anyway, I'm almost finished.

      Delete
  2. Dear Megan, check in the library of the school, we left lots of books en english for children when we left moyobamba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them! Thought it was funny to see 'John MacPherson' written inside the front cover of some of them! :-) With these new books we have a good collection going.

      Delete