Sunday 25 March 2012

New places, people and food

I have just had a lovely time with the people of a little church in the district of Lluyllucucha (say that 5 times fast!). I am hoping to attend that church for the next couple of months. The people are really friendly and meet at the side of some members' house. I've been getting to know an English missionary called Marion who is in Moyobamba through Latin Link. She has been helping out in this church for a while, and I am so grateful to have an English-speaking friend who can explain some cultural things to me.

Yesterday I went to the thermal baths in the afternoon with Yolanda and Marion. I thought it would be a lovely way to relax after a week with the children (they are great kids, but tiring too!). Well! As soon as I entered the very busy thermal baths, I started hearing 'Miss Megan! Miss Megan!' Lots of my students were there with their families! I had to laugh...no escaping them! 

I've visited a few new places around and about, one of which is a lookout point from Moyobamba, down the side of the hill, to the river below and to the surrounding area. It's called Tahuishco, and there are LOTS of steps from that point down to the river. I recently ran up and down them with a teacher from the school...and my muscles are still recovering...! The English teacher I work with, Pilar, took me there a few weeks ago with her son Jacob after we'd had breakfast at her house. She has been very kind to me, and I enjoy spending time with her. There are a few photos below of her and her son.

Two typical foods of the 'selva' (jungle) that I have recently tried are also pictured below. One is the juane, which is a ball of sticky rice with a bit of chicken in the middle; it's wrapped up and cooked in these cool bijau leaves. The other dish is a peanut soup called inchicapi that Yolanda made for me to try; it has peanut, yuca (a veg which looks a little bit like potato when it's floating in the soup) and chicken. Que rico! (How tasty!)

Oh, and there's a picture of a little visitor that we often have in the house. I think he's quite cute! :-)

Breakfast with Pilar and Jacob

View from the Punta de Tahuishco

With Jacob at Tahuishco

The juane, before it's unwrapped

Revealing the deliciousness inside (with beans and fried banana in the background)

Inchicapi, peanut soup

Little guest :-)

1 comment:

  1. when you are in Aberdeen I will make Inchicapi and Juanes for you.

    ReplyDelete