Wednesday 14 March 2012

One and a half weeks down

Classes are well under way now, and I'm getting to know the names of the students and which ones are the trouble-makers! I am really enjoying my work here in Annie Soper, and hopefully it won't be too long till I have some photos to share with you. I am helping in all of the preschool and primary classes - children from age 3 (adorable!) to 6th graders. The preschool classes are obviously a lot simpler and require a lot more Spanish; we do lots of worksheets and colouring in and repeating hundreds of times. The children are so funny...I always have a smile on my face! Even when they call me 'Miss Mega'...haha :-) I love the questions they ask - 'You're from another country, aren't you?' and 'Why is your skin that colour?' And I love all the many hugs and kisses I get on a daily basis!

Tonight and tomorrow night I have meetings at school with the parents of the little ones and the primary children. The meetings are a welcome to the school year with the teachers and headmaster, and I will have to introduce myself there.

I really need to get cracking on my project for university. I have a paper to write and quite a lot of research to do before the middle of May. The subject of the paper is not very specific - something about the culture, language, socio-economic status, politics, etc, of the country or town where I'm based. I'm very glad that I am in an interesting place like Moyobamba instead of a Spanish city, because I have many unique options of themes to research. At the moment I am doing some general reading about Moyobambino writers and the local folklore. You can pray that I will be able to settle soon on my subject and find lots of helpful books and helpful people to interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment